Saturday, December 31, 2011

Guyanese Maroons - more treasure and new information

Ai, didn't know dis at all.  I attended a meeting last night and learned quite a bit about African heritage in Guyana.  It definitely made me realize that there is so much for me to learn about the history of the Guyanese people - all of them.  Unfortunately, as even more sad as time passes, I keep learning about how much I do not know about my own heritage.

Last night I realized that I did not know about villages like Victoria, Buxton, Pleasance, etc. when it comes to how it relates specifically to the grandparents and great grandparents of Guyanese. 

I find this is the problem with the Indian population too.  Even though there might be a difference.  There is the possibility that within the within the culture of colonialism there were no spaces to pass down these stories from generation to generation.  While with the Indian population there the spaces of tradition and other cultural glue were not disturbed in the same manner so there was a passing along of history and the preservation of culture.

The meeting was a form of struggle that I've witnessed in a number of places in the African Diaspora.  As an educator and one who believes in critical literacy and transparency I am convinced that there are methods that can build the bridges needed and increase and enhance the knowledge that will bring that self esteem, self respect, and common humanitarian rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment