Sunday, December 18, 2011

Market days - yesterday and today

Well yesterday I went to a market.   Today I went to something, but I wouldn't call it a market.  It was definitely something Caribbean in a way, but not the Caribbean I want to move toward.  Laud all dat color stuff, an' English accent whirling all over deh place outta mouth dat mustsa been in dat damn country for 2 minutes.  And people who gettin' lips puckered up just because dem lack all dat color deh on deh beach tryin' hard fuh get.  And dem nuff talk comin' out dem other mouth remind me of dat calypso by Sparrow ah tink who talk 'bout dem people who does get deh accent soon as deh plane touch down.

Cheapside Market

Let's hear a lill' market






Holder's Hill Market




The one today reminded me of everything Caribbean I want to run from and fight against.  I think the photos of the two places should tell their own tales, but I'm having a hard time uploading photos.  One of the markets feel like home and feel like a welcome and they really sell market things.  I could get my veggies, smell good pudding and souse and they had soursap drink and pone; people were friendly and all the old women were taking their market stroll for the day.  It made me recall my granny and her hat on the way to market even if it was just "fuh two limes."  Well, ah tryin' wid deh computer to show deh damn photos but it not happening right now.  But yuh gun see dem hats soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment