Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Amazing morning people and future opportunities

It was an amazing morning, but I can't seem to upload photos.

I got to pick dunks (is that the spelling? green to orange and small) and walk down shortcuts.  I visited Clair and heard more about the challenges of women.  Went to a market that's starting to look like a mall and met a Chinese woman who has only been here for 6 months.  She's married to a Guyanese man who can only say a few words in Manderin.  She'd love to learn English and she said she can understand me; she's having a hard time with Guyanese creole ::))

I met a woman who lives in England and is in Guyana as a volunteer for VSO - Volunteer Services Overseas and they are with Conservation International.  She's picking me up tomorrow to visit with a woman's group called Helping Hand.  I'm also going to interview her as an outsider who has a take on Lethem since she's been here for almost 2 years.  Her partner is also here and he teaches in wood.

This afternoon I have an interview with a 92 year old man to learn about the history of Lethem.  At 7 p.m. I'm going to church to meet more women.  Friday I have an interview with Mrs. Foo who is in her 70s - still going strong and has been very involved in Lethem.

Whew! ah busy.  photos to come

No comments:

Post a Comment