Monday, January 16, 2012

Final moments at the Cave Hill Campus - sitting on a bench under a tree - what a breeze

I am always a little down as my last day approaches.  There are no words to describe a Caribbean breeze relieving a steady strong sunshine... trees swaying... I wonder how I live without this in my life daily; young girls walking pass and you wonder why are we so committed to Western style clothing; I watch them and my mind's eye sees them with clothing that reflects the vibrant croton plants in the background, the luscious hibiscus, the many greens ... deep dark and leaves with yellow specks; it makes me really "see" the results of the outside dominance of centuries.

As a youngster I was too... ensnared in this mindset of anything other was better than ours... done without any critical thought and no education to combat that this was always being fed to us and it lined the  air we had to breathe; now the idea of jeans, sweater, shirt and tie, stockings and closed shoes.... are filled with nightmare suffocatings.  I hear it now like magnified echoes... the fireplaces in our tropical homes; the concrete columns and the four and five story brick layered homes.

Why are we so wedded to these styles?  I've seen designers exhibit clothing much more comfortable and appropriate for the tropics.  Yet, time and time again, these styles are rejected by many of us only as we continue to sport clothing styles made out of material more suitable to colder climates.  For the life of me, I can't understand our reluctance to carve our own paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment