Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wapishana - Amerindian young university student's voice

I want to capture what he said quickly so that I don't lose the important points.

This conversation came about because after the breakfast encounter I sat down and it immediately crossed my mind that I could learn from him.  Why?  Here I am back in my country and very aware of my own ignorance.  I am not ignorant because I left Guyana, but ignorant because in Guyana as well as outside I learned nothing of my country.  So, I immediately knew that I could not let the opportunity pass; I had to find out if he was willing to teach me; I asked him and he was kind enough to sit with me for a while and educate me. 

My question had to do with ownership and employment.  I noticed that all the owners of any substantial business in Lethem were not Amerindians.  They were working for owners.  I asked him about this.

He told me that in his village there are very few teachers.  The young men leave education to enter the gold mining business because they can make money.  Consequently, they are not investing in the long term development.  The girls view marriage and motherhood as priorities; he has tried to have these conversations but he doesn't feel he's getting very far because of the deep traditional response to gender expectations.  He believes teaching can help but it will take time. (to be continued a little later)

No comments:

Post a Comment