Saturday, January 7, 2012

Wow - a breezy morning in Lethem - photos and ideas


I started here at 6:30 a.m.  I woke up at 4:30 with a mind filled with ideas.  As I walked I thought about what I would say to someone who planned to visit or return.  The entire area would benefit from the return of Guyanese.

My first thought though was that any person returning to Guyana would need to understand that material expectations are different.

I was a participant in one conversation that made me think of the various reasons for an education.  Moreover, I realized that the definition of a formal education differed for Guyanese.  The conversation also reaffirmed for me how important and necessary an "education" for change and an "education" for Guyanese is needed.

The conversation that stared me thinking was around the interior decoration of a new home in Lethem.  A part of the conversation focused on the "fireplace" in the home.  Some people took it for granted that this was "normal" for the tropics; and another person voiced the question - a fireplace in Lethem, a fire place in the tropics?

These outdoor tables and chairs are the perfect idea for the tropics.  They are stable and permanent.  I can see tables like this with many different tropical decorations and they can all match the garden.  I think these were bought in Brazil.

Architects with a sense of the tropics and with ideas that are other than colonial are needed in many parts of Guyana.  Here in Lethem there is a glorious breeze with the sunshine.  There must be a way to capture this breeze using ideas from people who were here long before the people who brought ideas best suited for cold climates and other cultural ideas.  I see walls filled with openings to allow the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment