Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wapishana and Macushi - Guyanese women and amazing self determination

I am sitting here eating mangoes and golden apples and realizing that I really don't have the language to take you down the road with me that's why I chose the blog so that I could upload photos and video clips so I am seriously annoyed today because the internet is slow and I can't be modern. This highlights the fact that as much as I might deny it I am spoiled by modernity. This is just one lesson, but in the midst of the time here I'm coming to grips with change. I've learned to walk a lot and I'm not even thinking of a car. My body is getting accustomed to the heat.

Lethem does take a bit of slowing down in a certain way. You walk to places and you wait for some things to be made. The changes are happening quickly; as you walk you see a well designed concrete house across the road from a simple dwelling.

I had the most interesting and learning experience this morning. I walked from the Takatoo to St. Ignatius; it was a half hour walk over a bridge and through short cuts; I walked with an interesting non-Guyanese woman who has worked with Helping Hand and learned a little more about my country than I do today.  I guess that leaves one to question my use of the word "my."  That, of course, is an entirely different conversation and there are books written on this claim to nation and identity.

When I arrived at the Helping Hand compound I was fasinated by the work of women and the strength of women.  One woman was turning the machine that roasted the nuts; another woman was turning the machine that took the husk off the nuts; another was outside separating the nuts from the husk; and another was grinding the nuts into the butter.  Inside 4 women were working with nuts.  There was a store where nuts, peanut butter, honey, and casaripe were out for sale.

I was given a short interview by the woman who is chair of the Helping Hand Women's Group.  I thank her for giving me her time.

No comments:

Post a Comment