Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday morning - walk photos and breakfast conversations

So, I had to challenge myself this morning.  I guess I have a kind of protective and emotional relationship with Guyana.  I find myself very suspicious of foreigners.  I always view men from the European community as after something that will not be beneficial to Guyanese in the long run.

This morning I swallowed and responded to the two men in the breakfast room when they spoke to me.  I was ignoring them because they gave me an experience that I've encountered often with these men.  The first experience is always being asked when the food will be served or something about their rooms.  Of course, those of you reading and know the experience know that it means that even if you're sitting in the lounge typing on your computer, they will ask you these questions.  I don't have on the staff uniform; I don't have on an apron; I'm not in the kitchen, but hell I must be there to serve somebody.  Okay, yes, that pissed me off; it always pisses me off.  It also means that it happens so often that when the well intentioned person does it the next time they will hear your snarl.

In any case, we chatted about travel; we chatted about the architecture; we chatted about rapid change; we chatted about what was happening to the indigenous people.  This conversation caught the ear of a young man who later approached me about the comment about the Amerindian people not caring about material wealth.  I was glad he approached me because he gave me a chance to learn from another Guyanese and he is Wapishana.  I will give our conversation a special post because I think his voice is important.  Morning photos will also be separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment